The mission of XYG North America is to provide goods or services in a way that is accessible to people with disabilities in Ontario.
In fulfilling our mission, XYG North America strives at all times to provide its goods and services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. We are also committed to giving people with disabilities the same opportunity to access our goods and services and allowing them to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other customers.
Reasonable efforts will be made to ensure that:
- People with disabilities are provided equal opportunity to obtain, use and benefit from XYG North America’s goods and services;
- Goods and services are provided in a manner that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities;
- The goods and services are provided to persons with disabilities are integrated with the provision to others unless an alternative measure is necessary to allow a person with a disability to benefit; the alternative measure may be temporary or permanent;
- Communications with a person with a disability are conducted in a manner that takes the persons’ disability into account;
- Persons with disabilities may use assistive devices, service animals and support persons as is necessary to access our goods and services.
This policy and its procedures address the accessibility requirements of Regulation 429/07 Accessibility Standards for Customer Service under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
This policy applies to all personnel working at the premise of XYG North America.
“Assistive Devices” are auxiliary aids such as communication aids, cognition aids, personal mobility aids and medical aids e.g. canes, crutches, wheelchairs or hearing aids.
“Disability”, as per the Ontario Human Rights Code meansany degree of physical disability, infirmity, malformation or disfigurement that is caused by bodily injury, birth defect or illness and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes diabetes mellitus, epilepsy, a brain injury, any degree of paralysis, amputation, lack of physical co-ordination, blindness or visual impediment, deafness or hearing impediment, muteness or speech impediment, or physical reliance on a guide dog or other animal or on a wheelchair or other remedial appliance or device;
a condition of mental impairment or a developmental disability;a learning disability, or a dysfunction in one or more of the processes involved in understanding or using symbols or spoken language;a mental disorder, or;an injury or disability for which benefits were claimed or received under the insurance plan established under the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, 1997.
“Persons with Disabilities” are individuals who have a disability as defined under the Ontario Human Rights Code above.
“Service Animals” are animals individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability.
“Support Persons” are any persons, whether a paid professional, volunteer, family member, or friend, who accompany a person with a disability in order to help with communications, personal care or medical needs, or with access to goods and services.
Providing goods and services to people with disabilities
XYG North America is committed to excellence in serving all customers including people with disabilities and we will carry out our functions and responsibilities in the following areas:
- We will communicate with people with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability.
- We will train staff who communicate with customers on how to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities.
2. Telephone services
- We will train staff to communicate with customers over the telephone in clear and plain language and to speak clearly and slowly.
- We will offer to communicate with customers by e-mail or fax if telephone communication is not suitable to their communication needs or is not available.
3. Assistive devices
- We are committed to serving people with disabilities who use assistive devices to obtain, use or benefit from our goods and services.
- We will ensure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used by customers with disabilities while accessing our goods and services.
We are committed to providing accessible invoices to all our customers. For this reason, invoices will be provided in the following formats upon request: e.g. hard copy, large print, e-mail.
We will answer any questions customers may have about the content of the invoice by telephone or e-mail.
Use of service animals and support persons
We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal on our premises. We will also ensure that all staff dealing with the public is properly trained in how to interact with people with disabilities who are accompanied by a service animal.
We are committed to welcoming people with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person. Any person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person will be allowed to enter our premises with his or her support person. At no time will a person with a disability who is accompanied by a support person be prevented from having access to his or her support person while on our premises.
Notice of temporary disruption
We will provide customers with notice in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the goods or services. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of an alternative service, if available.
The notice will be placed at all public entrances in our premises.
Training for staff
XYG North America will provide training to all employees and others who deal with the public or other parties on their behalf, and all those who are involved in the development and approvals of customer service policies, practices and procedures.
This training will be provided as soon as a staff commences his/her duties.Training will include the follow:
- The purpose of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the requirements of the customer service standard
- How to interact and communicate with people with various types of disabilities
- How to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the assistance of a service animal or a support person
- What to do if a person with a disability is having difficulty in accessing our goods and services
XYG North America’s policies, practices and procedures relating to the customer service standard.
Applicable staff will be trained on policies, practices and procedures that affect the way goods and services are provided to people with disabilities. Staff will also be trained on an ongoing basis when changes are made to these policies, practices and procedures.
The ultimate goal of XYG North America is to meet and surpass customer expectations while serving customers with disabilities. Comments on our services regarding how well those expectations are being met are welcome and appreciated.
Feedback regarding the way XYG North America provides goods and services to people with disabilities can be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon receipt, we will investigate the matter with the appropriate personnel and provide a written response within thirty (30) days.
Modifications to this or other policies
We are committed to developing customer service policies that respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. Therefore, no changes will be made to this policy before considering the impact on people with disabilities.
Any policies that do not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed.
XYG North America will maintain accurate records of training delivered to our staff and make these records available for inspection as may be required.
A copy of this policy is available upon request by contacting the Human Resources. In addition a copy of this policy is available at www.xygna.com.